Making improvements or alterations to your council home

Other permissions you may need before you start the work

Planning permission or Building Control approval

As well as getting consent from us you may also need to apply for planning permission or Building Control approval. You must do this yourself and we will only be able to consider your alterations request once you have this approval.

Party Wall Notice may also be required for some types of work.

We will not help you with any of the expenses of doing the work. You will be responsible for the repairs and maintenance of the alteration unless we accept this responsibility under the terms of the Tenancy Agreement.

Neighbour consent

In some cases, your neighbour must consent to the alterations you want to make.

Use the Neighbour Consent form to apply for this.

Electricity, gas and water supplier

You must also comply with the regulations of your electricity, gas and water suppliers.

Alteration timeframe

For some types of alterations permission is only given in principle until we have inspected the completed alterations and sign these off. Only then will full permission be granted.

Consent is valid for three months from the date given. If you wish to do work later you must make a fresh application.


You must check the asbestos log for your home to ensure that no potentially asbestos-containing materials will be disturbed by your proposed alterations. Contact us f you do not have the asbestos log for your home.

Contact the Housing Repairs and Maintenance Team

Address: Council Offices
The Campus
Welwyn Garden City

Telephone: 01707 357 000