Making improvements or alterations to your council home

What you need to know before you start the work

You will be responsible for the works carried out so you will need to ensure you use competent people to carry out the work.

For larger and more complex work we may need to make on-site inspections.

There are some alterations or improvements we can not give permission for.

Use registered trades people

For some works you will need to use registered trades people such as for gas and electrics. You will be responsible for putting right any damages caused.  

Health and safety issues

If we are made aware of an alteration where there is a major health and safety issue, we will arrange all necessary works to make safe. The cost of the work and any associated costs will be recharged back to you.

Poor workmanship

If the work carried out is not of a reasonable standard and we have to reinstate or make good any works carried out after you leave the property, you will be recharged for this work.

What happens if you move

Permanent fixtures like baths and toilets become our property and must be left if you move. You may be able to get compensation from us for improvements that you have made when you leave but not all alterations and improvements qualify for this.


We may give permission for you to carry out works such as window or door replacements; however this does not remove your responsibility under the terms of your lease to contribute towards block charges should we undertake a programme of improvements to your block.

If you do not apply for permission

If you have not applied for permission before carrying out alteration works you will be required to do so retrospectively. You may also be required to:

  • re-instate the property to its original condition
  • carry out further works to bring it up to a required standard
  • pay a recharge for the council to carry out repair work.