Support if you are at risk of becoming homeless
Rent Deposit Scheme
Our Rent Deposit Scheme offers financial help if you can't afford a deposit on a property in private sector. It is to help prevent homelessness in Welwyn Hatfield.
To be eligible for the scheme:
- You must be homeless or threatened with homelessness within 56 days.
- You must have a local connection to the borough of Welwyn Hatfield, in accordance with the Homelessness Legislation.
- You must be able to afford the accommodation that you are requesting assistance for.
- You must not have the ability to pay the required amount yourself.
Apply for the Rent Deposit Scheme
If you meet the criteria above and would like to apply contact us.
We will then carry out financial checks to make sure you can afford to rent a home in the private sector. If these checks show that you can afford to rent in the private sector, but not to save for a deposit, we will progress your application.
What the scheme offers
If your application is successful you will get:
- a guaranteed deposit equivalent to one months rent on a property in the private sector
- it can also be used to cover any damage and/or rent arrears
- If you get Housing Benefit your claim can be fast tracked to prevent rent arrears
- support from us for you and your landlord.
Please note we do not manage the tenancy or the property.