Lotteries can only be run either to raise money for good causes or for fun. They cannot be run for private or commercial gain. 

Larger lotteries usually need to apply to the Gambling Commission for a licence.

Find out more about the types of lottery and their regulation.

Small society lotteries

You can run a small society lottery without a licence but you will need to register with us.

Apply to register a small society lottery:

You will need to pay a fee of £20 to renew this each year.

Lottery returns

You must send us a lottery return telling using us about the proceeds within three months of the draw being held.

It must be certified by two members of the society (other than the promoter) who are:

  • over 18
  • appointed in writing, by the governing body of the society

To do this, complete a Lottery returns form and send it to the Licensing Team.

It is an offence not to submit a return, or to provide false information.

Licensing Team

Address: Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council
Campus East
The Campus
Welwyn Garden City