Planning consent for altering your home

Alterations which don't need planning permission (Permitted Development Rights)

Some home alterations do not need planning permission. These are called 'permitted development rights'.

Permitted development rights apply to many common projects for houses. They do not apply to flats, maisonettes, mobile homes, caravans or other buildings.

Find out if you have permitted rights

  • Check the Planning Portal for advice on what works need permission and which do not
  • Check whether local restrictions apply (see below)
  • Check if other consents are needed before you start works on your home.
  • You can also submit an application for a Lawful Development Certificate to us. We advise you do this if there is any uncertainty on whether your building works may be permitted development. Or, if you need confirmation for your mortgage or legal purposes.

Local restrictions to permitted development rights

Permitted development rights are more restricted if:

  • You live:
    • in a Conservation area and/or within the Estate Management Scheme area
    • in a high density housing estate
    • in an 'Article 4 directive' area (this applies to the removal of permitted rights to create Houses in Multiple Occupancy in Hatfield)
  • Your home:
    • is a Listed Building
    • is a barn conversion
    • is new and in the countryside
    • was built since the 1980's
    • had a condition placed on it as part of the original planning permission for your home

You will probably know if your property is affected by a direction or a condition as this would have been identified by your solicitor when you bought your home. You can check this by carrying out a Local Authority land charges search.

In these circumstances, you will have to submit a planning application.

We can give you advice on whether you would be likely to get planning permission through Pre-application advice.

Check if you are in a Conservation or Estate Management area

Open this link to our map. Type in your postcode and search. Then use the 'Local Knowledge' link on the left hand side to find Conservation and Welwyn Garden City Estate Management information.

Check Conservation and Estate Management areas on a map

Planning advice appointments

For general questions about planning you can book an appointment with the Duty Planning Officer (10 - 12 am Monday to Friday). Please note for questions about a specific planning application you should contact the Case Officer instead.

Book an appointment