Planning consent for altering your home

Types of permission and consent to alter your home

There are different types of consent you may need before you can change your home. These are listed below. You may need more than one type of consent before you can start building works.


Building Regulations Consent

If you are carrying out any structural changes inside or outside your home you will need Building Control consent.


Driveways and dropped kerbs

If you wish drop the kerb to drive across the pavement or footway to park on your property, you should apply to get consent from Hertfordshire Highways before you begin the work.

Planning permission is not usually required for such work but will be if:

  • it is on a classified road
  • it is a listed building
  • the crossover is not being constructed alongside other permitted development.  Permission will be required if the 'other' permitted development comprises a wall, fence or other boundary treatment

If you are in the Welwyn Garden City Estate Management are you will also need consent.


Landlords Consent (Restrictive Covenants)

If you live in a rented home or your property is leasehold then you may have a restrictive covenant and need to get written consent of your landlord before starting any works.


Listed Building and Conservation Area consent

If you live in a listed building or a conservation area additional planning restrictions apply.

You can check whether you live in a conservation area or a listed building.

If you live in a Conservation Area you may also require planning permission for demolition. 


Planning Permission

You can check if need planning permission for alterations on the Planning portal.

If the alteration comes under Permitted Development Rights and you do not need to apply for planning permission.


Protected hedges consent

If you live in the Welwyn Garden Estate Management Scheme you will need consent to remove a hedge or carry out works to it.

It is difficult to get consent to comepletly remove a hedge and you will usually be required to replace it.


Party Wall Act

If you are doing works close to your neighbour's boundary or property, you may have to give them notice. For information about this visit the Communities and Local Government website.

If you do not know where your boundary is you can check with the Land Registry or your solicitor.


Welwyn Garden City Estate Management Scheme consent

If you live in Welwyn Garden City your home may be in the Welwyn Garden City Estate Management Scheme.

You will need to get apply for consent for most developments and alterations to the outside of your home including hardstandings and the removal of trees and hedges.


Working from home consent

Often, running a business from your home does not need planning permission.

You can find out more about where planning permission might e needed on the Planning Portal.


Work to Trees consent

If you live in a conservation area or in the Welwyn Garden Estate Management Scheme trees are protected. Also, a tree may be covered by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO). If so, you will need consent before you carry out works to the hedge or tree.

Check if you are in a Conservation or Estate Management area

Open this link to our map. Type in your postcode and search. Then use the 'Local Knowledge' link on the left hand side to find Conservation and Welwyn Garden City Estate Management information.

Check Conservation and Estate Management areas on a map

Contact us about planning applications

You can email us for more information about the planning applications process. Please note: we will not be able to confirm whether or not your proposal requires planning permission and will not be able to give you an opinion as to whether a scheme is likely/unlikely to be approved. For more detailed guidance follow the link below to get pre-application advice.