Moving to a smaller home (Rightsizing)

About the Rightsizing Scheme

If you are a council tenant you may be eligible to get extra support and funding to move to a smaller property.

A home that is too large:

  • can be difficult to maintain, especially if it has a large garden with trees and hedges
  • may have higher rents and running costs like energy
  • may mean you have to pay the under-occupancy charge (bedroom tax) if you are claiming Universal Credit or Housing Benefit*

* By moving home your claim would revert from Housing Benefit to Universal Credit

We can help you to move to a home that is the right size for you. We will:

  • call you or meet with you to discuss all of your housing options such as sheltered accommodation and mutual exchanges
  • help you to apply to join the transfer list, bid for properties or arrange removals if needed
  • give you additional priority on the housing needs register, in line with our Housing Allocations policy
  • help with the costs

Right Sizing Transfer Scheme (full details)