Moving to a smaller home (Rightsizing)

Check you are eligible

To be eligible for help to move to a smaller council home you must:

  • be a secure or flexible tenant of the council 
  • have two or more bedrooms
  • be under occupying your home by at least one bedroom
  • not be moving into overcrowded conditions
  • not have rent arreas*

* In some circumstances, especially where rent arrears are caused by benefit restrictions, you may still be eligible.

Your current home and garden must also be in a reasonable condition.

If you are over 60 you may want to consider sheltered housing first but you are still eligible to apply for general housing if you prefer.