Moving to a smaller home (Rightsizing)
Check you are eligible
To be eligible for help to move to a smaller council home you must:
- be a secure or flexible tenant of the council
- have two or more bedrooms
- be under occupying your home by at least one bedroom
- not be moving into overcrowded conditions
- not have rent arreas*
* In some circumstances, especially where rent arrears are caused by benefit restrictions, you may still be eligible.
Your current home and garden must also be in a reasonable condition.
If you are over 60 you may want to consider sheltered housing first but you are still eligible to apply for general housing if you prefer.