Apply for a House of Multiple Occupation Licence
Apply for a House of Multiple Occupation (HMO) Licence
If you are renting out a House of Multiple Occupation (HMO) which has five or more unrelated people occupying it you will need to apply for a licence.
Contact us if you are unsure about whether your property needs a licence. A licence is valid for up to five years.
Apply online using the link below.
You will need:
- a fully completed and signed application form
- all required documents (as outlined in the application form) you can check to see how regularly they should be renewed
- the full licence fee
* opens a link to the GOV.UK website in an new window
Once we have checked the application is valid, we will:
- write to you to arrange a licence inspection
- consult with our other departments to check that the licence holder and manager is a 'fit and proper' person
- send a notice of intent to grant a licence giving 21 days to make representation (if nothing is identified at the inspection or the consultation)
- issue the licence (if no representation is received within the 21 days)
It normally takes three months to process a straight forward application, but could take up to a year.