Gambling policy Part A

Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council functions

11.1 Licensing Authorities are required under the Act to:

  • Be responsible for the licensing of premises where gambling activities are to take place by issuing Premises Licences
  • Issue Provisional Statements
  • Regulate members’ clubs and miners’ welfare institutes who wish to undertake certain gaming activities via issuing Club Gaming Permits and/or Club Machine Permits
  • Issue Club Machine Permits to Commercial Clubs
  • Grant permits for the use of certain lower stake gaming machines at unlicensed Family Entertainment Centres
  • Receive notifications from alcohol licensed premises (under the Licensing Act 2003) of the use of two or fewer gaming machines
  • Grant Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Permits for premises licensed to sell/supply alcohol for consumption on the licensed premises, under the Licensing Act 2003, where more than two machines are required
  • Register small society lotteries below prescribed thresholds
  • Issue Prize Gaming Permits 
  • Receive and Endorse Temporary Use Notices
  • Receive Occasional Use Notices
  • Provide information to the Gambling Commission regarding details of licences issued (see section above on ‘information exchange)
  • Maintain registers of the permits and licences that are issued under these functions

11.2 It should be noted that local licensing authorities would not be involved in licensing remote gambling at all. This will fall to the Gambling Commission via Operator Licences. The Gambling Commission will also issue personal licences.

12.3 Some decisions that are delegated to the Licensing Committee may be further delegated to a sub – committee of the Licensing Committee who may arrange for them to be taken by an officer of the authority. A summary of permitted delegations is at Appendix C.