Gambling policy Part A
3.1 The consultation took place between 12th June and10th August 2018 and we followed where practicable the government’s consultation principles (published January 2016) which is available at:
The Gambling Act requires that the following parties are consulted by licensing authorities.
- The Chief Officer of Police
- One or more persons who appear to the authority represent the interests of persons carrying on gambling businesses in the authority’s area
- One or more persons who appear to the authority to represent the interests of persons who are likely to be affected by the exercise of the authority’s functions under the Gambling Act 2005
The Council consulted widely upon this policy statement before finalising and publishing it. A list of the persons with whom we consulted is provided at Appendix B.
3.2 In determining the policy, the Council must have regard to the Guidance and give appropriate weight to the views of those it has consulted. In determining what weight to give particular representations the factors to be taken into account will include;
- Who is making the representation (what is their expertise or interest); How many other people have expressed the same or similar views;
- Relevance of the factors to the licensing objectives
- How far the representations relate to matters that the Council have included in its policy statement.
- Licensing authorities can only consider matters within the scope of the Guidance, Act and Codes of Practice.
Should you have any comments as regards this policy statement please send them via e-mail or letter to the following contact:
Licensing Team Leader
Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council
It should be noted that this policy statement does not override the right of any person to make an application, make representations about an application, or apply for a review of a licence, as each will be considered on its own merits and according to the statutory requirements of the Gambling Act 2005.
3.3 The formal Statement of Licensing Policy is available on the Council’s website or by request as an email, or a hard copy can be viewed at the Council Offices or Welwyn Garden City and Hatfield public libraries.
The full list of comments made and the consideration by the Council of those comments will be available by request to: Licensing Team Leader, Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council, The Campus, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, AL8 6AE.