Pet Policy for Council Housing
How we decide on whether to allow you to have a pet in your home
The following factors will be considered when deciding whether permission for a pet is granted:
• The size and type of animal - Dogs listed in the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 and any animal listed in the Schedule of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 may not be kept. This is to protect the health and safety of any residents and employees of Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council who may come into contact with them.
• The size and type of property.
• Proximity to outside space.
• The health and ability of the resident to provide the level of care required for the animal.
• Any other animals already in your home.
• The impact of the animal on neighbouring residents.
• The impact on the condition or safety of the home, including overcrowding and fire safety.
• Any previous problems within your household relating to pet ownership or antisocial behaviour which may give rise to concerns about your ability to look after a pet in an appropriate manner.