How to bid on a council housing property

Starting a new tenancy

When the property is ready to let we will write to invite you to your Neighbourhood Housing Office to sign for the tenancy

If you are already a council tenant you must:

  • move out of your current home (give up vacant possession)
  • return the keys to us on an agreed date (normally the date the new tenancy starts)

If you return the keys late, you will be charged rent on both properties. If you claim Housing Benefit you will normally have to cover this cost yourself. Contact our Housing Benefits team for further advice.

Once you have accepted and signed for the tenancy, your Housing Needs Register application will be cancelled. You will then be expected to use the property as your main home and keep to the terms and conditions of the tenancy agreement.