Housing Responsive Repairs Policy (Rechargeable Tenant Repairs)

Information for tenants / licensees

When a tenant/licensee requests a repair that is rechargeable, prior to any work commencing, you will be asked to sign an acceptance form that will inform you of the recharge rate.

If we must undertake the work without your signature, the charge will still be debited to your rent account for payment. We will not repair or renew any fixtures or fittings that have been damaged or neglected.

If we do carry out work because of this, we will recharge you unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Tenants/licensees are responsible for some repairs which include, but are not limited to:

  • lost, stolen or broken keys/door entry fobs (this includes gaining entry)
  • decoration and floor coverings (except kitchen and bathroom floor coverings the council have provided)
  • light bulbs
  • washing line/posts and rotary driers (except in communal areas)
  • toilet seats
  • plugs and chains to basin, sinks and baths
  • internal door handles.

Unless it is an emergency and you cannot be contacted, tenants/licensees must be given the opportunity to carry out the rechargeable repair or remedial work themselves, an inspection will be made to ensure the repair has been carried out satisfactorily.

Examples of rechargeable repairs:

  • Wilful damage – replacing smashed doors, DIY.
  • Neglect – damage to kitchens and bathrooms, removal of fire doors, frozen/burst pipes, blocked outside sink gulley grates.
  • Misuse – damage to walls (such as graffiti), cracked/smashed glazing to windows and doors.
  • Accidental damage – cracked sink caused by dropping an item in it.
  • Lock changes because of lost/stolen keys, including garages and storage sheds.
  • Charges for any damage caused by the police, the council, or its agents if they enter your home under a warrant or other legal powers of entry.
  • Unauthorised alterations which have damaged the fabric/structure for the property.
  • Misuse of the emergency out of hours system.
  • Leaving your property – when a tenant/licensee leaves a property, and the council must bring the property up to an acceptable standard for it to be re-let. This includes storage, removal, and disposal of household contents, including furniture and white goods. Removing rubbish, cleaning, and replacing missingfixtures and fittings, rectifying defects caused by unauthorised alterations, removing garden features.
  • Any other repairs or responsible items, as defined under the terms of the Tenancy Agreement.

The above list, together with the provided examples is not comprehensive, and each repair will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Where a repair is rechargeable the cost will be charged to the tenant/licensee to ensure those who cause damage to properties are held accountable.

Where a tenant/licensee does not pay back the cost of rechargeable repairs or who has substantial rent arrears, the Income team in conjunction with Property Services team may determine that no further rechargeable repairs will be carried out (except for emergencies) until this debt has been paid. In the case of rechargeable repairs over £300 the Council may ask the tenant/licensee to pay a deposit before the work is carried out).