Licensing policy

Making a representation

23.1 Responsible authorities and ‘any other person’ may make representations on applications for premises licences or club premises certificates, or variations of such licences. The representation must be relevant to at least one of the four licensing objectives and relate to the specific premises. Only the police can make a representation to the transfer of a premises licence, variation of a Designated Premises Supervisor or a personal licence. Both Environmental Health and the Police can object to a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) under any of the licensing objectives.

23.2 Representations must be made in writing and must be received by us within the statutory consultation period (28 days). We do not have to consider any representations received after the end of consultation but we have discretion to consider late representations [Belfast City Council v Miss Behavin’ Limited (2007)].

23.3 Representations about an application may be in support of the application or objecting to the application