Planned Permanent Decants
10.1 A permanent decant may be necessary where it is planned to dispose of, demolish and/or redevelop the property; or to remodel the whole block or estate resulting in a different number or properties and/or property sizes; or to alter the property to the extent that it is no longer suitable for the existing tenants needs. WHBC will work closely with affected tenants and residents at all stages to support them through the process and help find suitable alternative accommodation. The following principles apply:
• WHBC tenants who have to move due to demolition and/or redevelopment are given urgent priority in line with the Housing Allocation Policy – in order to facilitate a move as soon as possible.
• Where a new development is planned, residents will not automatically have the right to move to the new properties once they are built.
• Where WHBC have already started possession proceedings against a tenant, prior to the decant,
• We will continue with the legal action to end the tenancy.
• Existing WHBC tenants will be offered a like for like tenancy. Where the tenant has a 5 year flexible tenancy, a new full 5 year tenancy will be offered.
• WHBC will provide a package of support tailored to meet each households needs.
• Tenants will be given priority to bid for WHBC properties but if they have not successfully bid, we will match tenants to voids that become available to make at least two offers of suitable alternative accommodation.
• Where a number of tenants have the same level of priority they will be prioritised by the time/date the application was made to the Housing Needs Register (with the application which is made first having the most priority).